Please note: This pattern also has a page on Ravelry.
Knitting a balaclava is relatively easy, once you’ve got the basic idea you can knit one for any size head using pretty much any weight of yarn and you can use the principles given in the main balaclava pattern on this site to make a balaclava of any weight of yarn for your doll.
Please note: This is written up from my notes as I tend to knit alot of things as I go along and I’m not that good at making notes! I will do another test knit of this at some point, but in the meantime it might need a little tweaking :0)
- bo: bind/cast off
- CO: cast on
- k: knit
- k2tog: knit 2 together
- p: purl
- p2tog: purl 2 together
- rib: k1, p1, repeat
- sl1: slip 1 stitch
- stst: stockinette stitch
- skpo: skip one (as if to knit), knit 1, pass slipped stitch over knitted stitch
- Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
- 4mm and 4.5mm needles
- 4mm dpns or circular
- stitch holders
1. Using 4mm needles co on 64st
2. Rib 6 rows, bo 1 at beginning of final 2 rows.
3. Put 10 stitches at each end of piece on holders.
4. Rejoin yarn to central stitches and using 4.5mm needles stst 27 rows.
Shape top of head
5. P27, p2tog, turn
6. Sl1, k13, skpo, turn
7. Sl1, p13, p2tog, turn
8. Sl1, k13, skpo, turn
9. Continue in this matter until all the sides are picked up along the central panel. Leave stitches on a holder.
10. Join front at bo stitches. Place the bottom held stitches on a 4mm circular or dpns. Pick up 20 stitches up the side, add top stitches onto circular, then pick up 21 stitches down the other side.
11. Rib atleast 6 rows and then bo loosely.
Copyright: Nikki Wall 2017 @ https://doncasterwellbeing.wordpress.com
This pattern is provided free for non-commercial use. Please do not sell balaclavas made from this pattern. If you would like to use balaclavas made from this pattern to raise money for charitable purposes, please contact me.
Please do not distribute the pattern on other sites – however, you’re more than welcome to link to it here! If you make a balaclava from the pattern, please let me know, I’d love to see photos and include them on here. Thank you.